Yes, it IS possible to reverse osteoporosis! The body wants to have strong bones. All we have to do is help the body do what it was created to do. Here are 10 ways to do just that!

1) Find a substitute for drinking sodas. Carbonated drinks acidify your blood. The body must then neutralize the acid so that your blood can function as it should, and one way it does that is by pulling calcium from your bones! It took me a year to give up soda completely, but I don’t miss it anymore. I now enjoy the benefits of drinking bottled water, ice water with lemon, and a variety of herbal teas. Once a week, I also enjoy a glass of Perrier!

2) Find a substitute for drinking coffee. Both caffeinated and decaffeinated coffee deposit huge amounts of acid your blood, causing the body to rob your bones of calcium in order to neutralize the acid. In addition, caffeine puts a strain on the adrenal glands by causing a cortisol response–stress response– in the body. Instead of coffee, I enjoy a variety of herbal teas, often with tart cherry juice, lemon juice, or Beyond C powder for added flavor.

3) Reduce emotional stress from work overload. Remember: It is not how much work you accomplish during the day that makes you valuable. It is the LOVE with which you do whatever you do during the day. There is nothing wrong with doing less things, but doing them well. Doing something well is worthy.

4) Collect recipes that eliminate dairy products. Now, before you scream at me that this is impossible, let me say that a year ago I thought so, too. In fact, I used to cry at night because I missed yogurt and cheese so much. It may seem hard to believe, but I don’t even miss them now! It can be the same for you, if you substitute a positive Ph foods for these negative, acidifying products. (No, milk does NOT do a body good!) Check out my recipes for starters!

5) Increase stress to the spine and hip bones! Increasing stress to the bones tells to bones to build bone density. You can walk 30 minutes a day, rebound for 5-20 minutes, work out with weights, stretch and bend–it’s all good for reversing osteoporosis.

6) Let your plate celebrate the wearing of the green! Green vegetables, such as kale, collards, and broccoli, are high in calcium and help alkalinize the blood for better bone building.

7) Sleep 8 hours every night–or as close to it as you can. Why? Lack of sleep leads to that cortisol response in the body that we spoke of earlier. The body simply does not build and repair well when it is in tensed for “fight or flight”.

8) Take supplements as needed for healing and maintenance of body systems. Dr. Rogers has changed what my list of supplements as my recovery has progressed. Eight months ago, he had prescribed 3 grains of thyroid hormone (NOT Synthroid) per day, along with MedCaps T3* (from Xymogen), which “features targeted nutrients and herbs that support healthy hormone synthesis.” Last month, Dr. Rogers reduced the prescription to 1 grain of thyroid hormone per day, as my thyroid is healing. Other supplements have been added to the original list. I’ll update the list later this week.

9) Enjoy 20 minutes per day of direct exposure to natural sunlight. Not just your face and hands–we’re talking 50% skin exposure. It’s hard to do in winter, but where there’s a will, there’s a way. Direct sunlight helps the body to assimilate Vitamin D, which helps the body to build strong bones.

10) Most important: Take your own healthy food with you wherever you go! This country’s groceries stores and restaurants are simply loaded with enticing, enemy foods that are loaded with acid-producing agents that will destroy your bones, if you give in. Protect yourself by keeping friendly foods with you at work, at play, to parties, and even to restaurants! What to pack? Raw almonds, sunflower seeds, an apple, baby carrots, cherry tomatoes, bottled water, and a package of herbal tea. It all fits in a standard, insulated lunch box. This emergency stash of positive pH treats has saved me repeatedly from giving in to the temptation to drink coffee or eat fried foods or sugary treats that would acidify my blood and cause bone decay.

The body wants to have strong bones. Working WITH your body, you CAN reverse osteoporosis, while improving your overall health and happiness!

Juice Plus + ® Provides the nutritional essence of 17 different fruits, vegetables and grains in a convenient capsule form. Click here to learn more.

Tags:

56 Comments on Top 10 Ways to Reverse Osteoporosis and Build Bone!

1. Kathleen says:

Forgot to add I eat Chobani yogurt. Is there something better?

Thanks!!!

• Kathy says:

Hi, Kathleen. It sounds to me like you are doing a great job with your diet! I’d like to answer your post in a longer article because what you’ve asked here is important for all of us. I’ll let you know when it’s ready to publish.
      Have a blessed day,

2. Kathleen says:

Many thanks, Kathy for your great information. I am a very young 68 year old, a prime candidate for osteoporosis I believe as I have always been a very thin person with not much weight tugging on my bones. Recently diagnosed with O/P and will NOT take the junk the MD’s are suggesting. So looking for a natural way. We eat quite healthy I believe (small amount of meat/chicken or fish, large amount of fresh veggies always steamed and always a green salad, unfortunately with bottled dressing …). And I take my pH every morning – always a 7. However, I have GERD, avoid citrus and other aggravating things and hypothyroidism (an auto immune disease). I will begin snacking on almonds but wonder how to get calcium into me without dairy. (The Doc recommends mac and cheese, other cheese, whole milk, etc. Ugh!)

3. Allison Sears says:

Excellent article! Gets down to the the most important cause of illnesses: Bodies are too ACID! We need to stay Alkaline. Only a couple of additions: Don’t eat anything that is WHITE: white sugar, white flour. It’s so dangerous – it’s all and chlorinated and totally ACID. There is “Unbleached White Flour”, but best is whole grain.
    So important: look at “Lawsuits Against Dangerous Drugs” Lawyers across the country are going after harmful – totally dangerous drugs. Look up any drug for Arthritis, RA, Osteoporosis drugs: the side effects are just shocking. A real “head shaker” How can THEY do that to our bones?
    Thank you! Thank you! for ALL pf your information!

4. Anonymous says:

I’m 80 years old and have never taken any prescription drugs work out regularly at water aerobics and weigh training etc. So I had my one and only Bone density test and I’m told I have Osteoporosis the worst kind. Had my first shot in Nov., I’m not going to get any more,it;s not worth it considering the side affects.

5. Kathy says:

Mary Lou, Thank you the information about yogurt. The only catch is that many yogurt brands contain a lot of sugar, which is acidic, or artificial sweeteners, which are toxic. But you are absolutely right that fermented milk products can be very good for bone-building! :-)

6. […] and speaks from a practical view of reversing osteoporosis.  I found many helpful ideas at her site.   For more detail, check my resources at the bottom of this […]

7. Mary Lou Harris says:

In the hope of getting correct information “out there” re diet to strengthen bones, Vivian Goldschmidt says that FERMENTED milk (as in yogurt) is okay. You don’t have to give up yogurt.

I think that would apply to buttermilk, which I believe is fermented, as well.

8. Kathy says:

Hi, Anne. Perhaps you may need hormone therapy. I started taking bioidentical hormone about 6 months ago, and one of the advertised benefits of bioidentical hormones for some women is increased bone density. Has your doctor mentioned this possibility to you?

God bless you,

9. anne says:

Iwent thro oophorectomy 10 months ago, but when l did DXA I tested asteophenia.
    Why so soon and what is the immediate remedy?

10. Kathy says:

Hi, Tracy. I don’t know much about early menopause, but I know some folks who do. I’ve been seeing Dr. Magsino with BodyLogic, M.D. near Orlando, and I’ve been taking bioidentical hormones for about a year. I am very happy with the results! My reasons for seeing Dr. Magsino were vaginal dryness and painful intercourse, though, not early menopause. Just the same, I wonder if they could help you?

Tammy, I’m sorry that I didn’t see your post earlier, or I would have replied immediately. Alendronate is another name for Fosamax, and Fosamax has dreadful side effects! If you type the word, Fosamax, in the green search box near the top of this page, you will find articles about Fosamax that have been written for this site. It’s your decision whether to take the drug or not, but remember that your body is not struggling because it is lacking a pharmaceutical drug. Why not try the natural approach? Much information is available on this website about moving toward an alkaline diet, getting daily sunshine, and adding weight-bearing exercise to your routine. There are also other wonderful websites, like SaveOurBones.com and BetterBones.com. I will pray for you to find your way to health.

God bless you both,

11. Tracy says:

Hi Kathy, just curious what you know of early menopause…..got it when i was 25. Dont get my periods at all. I took estrogen and protesteron for about 5 years, then switched to the pill….(doctors orders)….for about 8 years. The last pill i took was yasmine. This is all so that my body would have estrogen, so that i would have periods so that it wouldnt get worse. Yasmine set me over the edge……my emotions were all over the place. I quit taking the pill. Have been off of it for 2 years now. I am 40 years old and still dont get my periods. This all to say and ask, just wondering if you know anything of this? I went to a natural path doctor, but couple hundred dollars later, and some other interesting(not) suggestions, didnt really seem good. I went to kineseology too. I am taking lots of liquid calcium, vit D and vit k. I have always wanted a natural way of getting things back to normal, but who am i? this is probably too complicated. but, just wondering if you have any thoughts on the matter.

12. Tammy says:

Sorry the correct spelling is ALENDRONATE… Love your posts btw!

13. Tammy says:

Hi Kathy my doctor put me on Aleneronare 70 mg once a week. What are your thoughts? I’m only 44 and have osteoporosis in my spine and osteopenia in my hips due to starting menopause at 33.

14. Kathy says:

Hello, Roxonne. I’m glad we found each other, too. I am not a doctor, so I cannot give medical advice. I can, however, share my journey and observations. It have observed that different builds have different bone densities. It’s not a”one size fits all” situation. Also, I have discovered that there is much more to bone health than just bone density! Other factors, such as bone flexibility, are just as important or even more important than bone density.

I don’t know if Steve went to see Dr. Lani Simpson, but I hope he did. The bioidentical hormones I take come to me from Dr. Magsino of Maitland, Florida, who is affiliated with BodyLogic, M.D. I am completely satisfied with bioidentical hormones, and I’ll be excited to see in October what, if any, effect these natural hormones have had on my bone density.

Your last question is the tough one to answer. According to the AMA’s definition of osteoporosis, my osteoporosis has never reversed. However, I feel sure that my bone health has improved immensely! When I was first diagnosed with osteoporosis, my feet hurt so much that I could not stand on my tiptoes or walk far. Within a couple of years of a changed diet and supplementation with liquid calcium-magnesium and other nutrients, I was running a 5k race! I am healthier and have more stamina than I’ve had in years! Back in 2005, I felt desperate when the nurse practitioner painted for me a dark future full of broken bones and disability if I didn’t take Fosamax. If you read up on Fosamax–there are articles about it on this website–you’ll find Fosamax and other bisphosphonate drugs have a host of negative side effects. There are healthier, natural ways to build healthy bones. You’ve come to the right place. Feel free to write me back anytime.

God bless you,

15. Roxonne says:

Hi Kathy, I am so happy that I found your website, specially that Yesterday I received the results of my bone-density and found that I am at -4.9. I am loosing about 5% every couple of years. I was so said that I burst in tears when I saw my results. I am 53, I eat healthy good diet and exercise constantly. Never smoked or abused alcohol, never been on bad drugs, I don’t drink coffee nor tea, rarely a pop, which I don’t drink anymore and I sleep well. I have been on Fosamax since 2000. When I read your reply dated February 22, 2013 at 6:21 am talking about Steve, you brought some light to my desperation. Did Steve go to Dr. Lani Simpson in California to find out what is causing his osteo? Do you know what Steve did to found out about that he had a parathyroid tumor?
    In addition, can you give me the name and the brand name of the hormones that you are taking? My doctor refused totally to give me hormones she does not believe in them.
    And the last question is, after you start taking your hormones and expose your body to the sun, how long did it take to start the reversal of osteoporosis?
    I am really desperate and any advise will bring some hope to my situation!
    Many thanks

16. Kathy says:

Hi, Claire. No, I haven’t heard of any cases where building bone resulted in an increase of height. There is a doctor in California by the name of Dr. Lani Simpson who specializes in finding out each individual’s cause of bone loss and in using natural means to reverse the loss and build bone. You can find her website at: http://www.lanisimpson.com/

God bless you,

17. Claire says:

Hi, I have had a severe osteoporosis since diagnosed in 2008. I walked a lot in 2009 and I had stronger bones, but 2010 I didn’t walk as much and osteoporosis got worse and I lost about 4 inches in height, and 2 inches in arms length. I am vegan. I don’t drink coffee or alchohol, and don’t eat sugar/honey, or gluten. I do drink a lot of herb teas, in addition to Oolong tea which has some caffeine. I have lost about 3 more inches of height since Fall 2012. I do some weight bearing exercise at home and just bought a weight vest nas well. My docotr really wants me to get on drugs like boniva but I am not taking any. Have you heard of any cases that a reversal of osteoporosis, and building new bones resulted in increase of height? I can’t find any article about it.

18. Kathy says:

Hi, Karen. No, I had not heard of Dr. Whiting before, but I just checked out his videos on YouTube, and I was very impressed! The 80% alkaline / 20% acid diet is also based on raising the body’s pH. The idea is to eat more foods that leave an alkaline “ash” when digested, so that the body does not need to leach minerals from the bones to neutralize acid in the blood. I’d be very interested to hear more about your visits with Dr. Whiting. Thanks for sharing!

God bless you,

19. Karen says:

Hi Kathy: I’ve been reading all these posts about building bone. I, too, have been diagnosed with osteoporosis and DO NOT want to be on the medication. In my research I found Dr. Whiting at the Institute of Nutritional Sciences. I ordered the calcium supplements from his website and have taken his advice to check my pH balance of my diet. This has all been fascinating to me. Do you know much about Dr. Whiting’s work? After I chart my pH for 7 days and send them the results, they will make further recommendations for me. I am now looking at books about pH diets. I am very active for my age (56) and I’m looking for ways to boost up my bone density over the next several months before my next scan.

Thanks for any words,
    Karen

20. Kathy says:

Hi, Cathy. What part of Costa Rica are you visiting? My husband just got back from a surfing trip to Avillana, near Tamarindo. We have also stayed in Nosara before, south of Ttamarindo. If you decide to give up coffee, as I have had to, you could try Dandy Blend. It tastes almost like coffee, but is made from dandelion and chickory, and it’s great for the kidneys! I can’t give advice about getting off of Fosamax either gradually or cold turkey, but I can tell you that studies are showing that Fosamax actually harms the bones, rather than helping them. Good luck and God bless you with the changes you are making to improve your health!

Blessings to you and yours,

21. Kathy says:

Steve, you are absolutely right. According to Dr. Lani Simpson, a California specialist in osteoporosis and hormone balancing, there may be other things going on that affect bone density dramatically. For example, she had one patient who had a -4.5 and has sustained 4 vertebral fractures, even though he ate a good diet and exercised. It turned out that he had a parathyroid tumor. After the tumor removal, 8-12% bone density gains are expected over the next two years. It’s important to find out if there are other issues at stake.

Jeff, I have heard that large doses of Prednisone can cause major health issues, such as osteoporosis. I wish I could tell you what type of improvement to expect, but I am not a doctor and am not allowed to do that. I will tell you, though, that after I changed my diet, I also sought quality chiropractic care, and I am amazed at the progress I’m made in the movement and curvature of my neck and spine. Chiropractors differ immensely in their techniques and tools. Some use physical manipulation, while others use computerized Pro-Adjusters. My chiropractor uses both. It’s worth a try!

God bless you,

22. cathy says:

love all of the questions and feedback… thank you, everyone. I am going to check out the fosomax link you gave Kathy… I have been on fosomax for a long time. I am a 59 year old young woman… with osteoporosis… for the last 3 years or so. I started menopause in my late 30’s… I sparatically walk… am in Costa Rica for a few months so have been walking an hour to 2 hours to more a few times a week… I know I need to do some weight training as well… I am going to check out some of the other links posted… today…. :( after reading here… I will say goodbye to coffee…. my one real vice… I thought that my switching to decaf made drinking coffee ok… nice to know the facts… thank you… I have a feeling that once I have read the info on fosomax that I will stop taking that… when doing so… shall I go off of it gradually… or cold turkey… I am going to check out the special osti diets… thanks again, blessings from one Cathy to another Kathy…

23. Jeff says:

PS….I was on very large doses of Prednisone as a diet for treatment of Myasthenia Gravis. My doctor tells me this is the probably cause of my OP.

24. Jeff says:

Hello,
    I am a 48 year old male that has been diagnosed with Osteoporosis. I have lost 4 inches in height and have a noticeable curve in my spine. My range of motion in my neck has decresed quite a bit and I have become somewhat reclusive because it is an embarassment to me. I have started a diet primarily of raw juicing and blending. I am about to begin working with some weights and resistance bands. Realistically, how much improvement can I expect? I don’t think I will ever stand up perfectly straight again, but will I see some improvement in my curvature or range of motion? Thank you very much.

25. Steve says:

I’m a 58 year old man. Last year I fractured a vertebrae when lifting 40 lbs and then had my bone density tested. It was -4.1 to -3.7 throughout or severe osteoporosis. My Vitamin D levels were also rock bottom, in spite of always taking Vit. D supplements life-long. After more tests it was found my intestines had inflammation and ulcers, but I don’t have Crohn’s. Most likely this is due to food allergies, which I have plenty (like fish, nuts, soy, etc). I’m now taking forteo for the bones and pentasa for the ulcers. I have always taken supplements, done weight bearing exercise, eaten alkaline foods (I like my veggies!) and none of that helped. I just wanted to let you know that what you are recommending doesn’t work for everyone.

26. Kathy says:

You are so right, Sue! I slacked off this year on weight-bearing exercise, which didn’t help my bone strength at all. Using the bones to carry weight tells the bones that they need to get stronger. Otherwise, they tend to weaken. I’ve never used the weight vest, but I’ve heard that they are terrific!

27. sue Rubin says:

They neglect to mention that you MUST do weight bearing exercise to get strong bones in fact that is number one to strengthen bone.
    I like to use the weight vest it evenly distributes the weight all over the body so your whole body gets a great work out
    love the one made by nyknyc company its for women with osteoporosis

28. thank you Kathleen for all this useful information.

29. Kathy says:

Thanks, Tracey, for your positive feedback. And you’re right: The take-along lunch box makes a tremendous difference!

Blessings to you and yours,

30. Tracey says:

These are great tips and probably will help fight not only osteoporosis but also many other diseases you don’t want to get. I especially like your idea about keeping an insulated lunch box with you. I’m very particular about what I eat and often find it difficult to find foods which work for me. Having a lunch box will empower me to eat what I want when I want, thanks!

31. Betty Fulton says:

What is the difference between Osteoporosis and Osteoarthritis?

32. Terri says:

I am 53 yo and just found out I have osteoporosis. Doctor is recommending the usual gamit of medicinal treatments. I would like to switch to the osteodiet, but I’m concerned about it making my acid reflux worse. Anybody have any experience with this?

• Kathy says:

Hi, Terri. Yes, Dr. Stephen Hayman’s July newsletter outlined nutritional guidelines for treating acid reflux naturally. Happily, his guidelines for healing acid reflux do not conflict with the OsteoDiet guidelines. If you’d like to read Dr. Hayman’s newsletter, please click on this link: http://hosted.verticalresponse.....a19632ffe/.

God bless you,

33. candy says:

I read a few articles that mentioned a few studies of women that ate 8 to 10 prunes a day for a year and increased their bond density, it is something to do with the Vitamin K and Potassium in the Prunes, have you heard anything about this and are they ok to eat when focusing on an alkaline diet?

34. Amy says:

Thank you. I am 46, a mother of two elementary aged children. I had a hysterectomy 7 yrs ago and as of 4 yrs ago, took myself off of all HRT. I had been on compounded HRT for 2 yrs. Today I was told I have osteoporosis and I was a bit frightened. I’ve been reading all afternoon online and am encouraged that I can reverse this with lifestyle changes and prayer! Thank you for your positive encouragement. I am ready to start a new path to better health with the help of my Lord! (PS-I never realized that even decaf coffee is bad for you. So time to switch to hot tea and green teas!)

• Kathy says:

Amy, I’ve found another wonderful drink at the health food store: Dandy Blend Instant Beverage with Dandelion. It tastes like coffee, but it’s both alkaline and gluten-free! I don’t miss coffee at all since I started drinking it. It’s especially yummy with a little almond milk (also alkaline) in it. :-)

35. pat says:

Hi, I have osteopenia and I also take levothyroxine .112mg daily for under active thyroid and carbamazepine 400 mg daily for epilepsy and I’ve been told both of these drugs deplete bone density. I had a great grandmother with a football size goiter so I’m not going there by getting off medication. Are there any alternatives to these drugs. In regard to drinking tea can I drink english breakfast tea? caffeinated or decaffeinated? When you talk of weight bearing exercises which exercises specifically are you talking about? When you talk of walking and then rebounding what does rebounding mean? With beans are you talking obout all beans? When you talk of carbonated drinks I have cranberry juice with a splash of a seltzer type drink and lemon. Is that a problem? Thanks for your input. Regards, Pat

• Kathy says:

Regarding thyroid health, I’d like to recommend Dr. David Brownstein’s book, Overcoming Thyroid Disorders. You can order it at: https://www.drbrownstein.com/bookstore_Thyroid.php.
      As for the other questions, you can find out more by looking through my website, http://OsteoDiet.com. Specifically, however, natural herbal teas that are caffeine free are more alkalizing than caffeinated teas. Weight bearing exercise can refer to walking and running, lifting weights, and more. You might like to check out SaveOurBones.com’s “Densercise” program for simple, yet effective exercises for building bone density. For a list of alkalizing foods, including some types of beans, please click on this link: http://osteodiet.com/2007/08/2.....bone-food/. Also, I have read that up to one glass per day of carbonated waters, like seltzer water, is okay for bone health.

Have a blessed and beautiful day,

36. Kathy says:

Ginny, Fosamax has a long list of side effects, and the list is growing! Here’s a link to an informative link on the subject: http://osteodiet.com/2009/01/0.....al-cancer/

It is possible to reverse osteoporosis naturally…and the only side effect is improved health! Adopting the OsteoDiet (80% alkaline / 20% acid), daily sunlight (20 minutes), weight bearing exercise, stress reduction, and adequate sleep make the difference. You can do it!

God bless you,

37. Ginny says:

Just had a recent bone density test. I was also told that I have osteo and was told to take fosomax. How “safe” is this? What else can I do to reverse the need for this?

38. JJ says:

Well the article is very good to a point some people are not effected by some of the food and drinks like other people. I drink about 2 pots of coffee a day since I join the Navy in 1973 and zero cokes. My last report from the doctor is great other than the problems from a life and near death accident which gave me sezuire. I’m 56 years of age the doctor gave me some type of bone checking examin a week ago and says even recovering from a broken back my bones are fine and the break is heeling.
    By the way coffee puts me to sleep, settles my nerves, and helps with the shaking of my hands from the frontal lobe epilepsy. The doctor say coffee does effect some people in reverse. I drink it black strong. But I have to say the teas you mention sound nice because I do drink green tea and peppermint tea in between coffee. And I love greens. In your teas try adding a quarter to half a teaspoon cumin powder twice a day from herbal store not spice from grocery store, it’s good for swelling around joints and wound healing some cancer and a anti toxin.

39. Kathy says:

Hi, Jackie. I took Armour Thyroid for several months. Once my thyroid healed and was functioning properly, Dr. Rogers weaned me off the hormone.

40. Jackie says:

What kind of thyroid hormone did you take?

41. Kathy says:

You can do it, Bernadette! Weight-bearing exercise and an 80% alkaline/20% diet along with daily sunlight can make it happen. I will keep you in my prayers.

42. bernadette kmiotek says:

Hi Kathy i was told i had a moderate case of osteoporsis. My Dr. wants me to go on Fosomax, but i read all the side effects and there not good. Im reading about alkaline diet and i wonder if you can really reverse bone loss. I hope i can. Thanks Bernadette

43. Kathy says:

Hello, Abi. Yes, switching to an 80% alkaline / 20% acid diet, along with weight bearing exercise and sunlight helps the body to rebuild bone. Remember, too, that after childbearing years, a woman’s body does not need the same level of bone density as before and that bone density is not even the best indicator of bone strength. Please read through articles in the Daily Diet category for menu ideas. You can also look in the Recipes and Weekly Workout articles for more information. If you have more questions, please feel free to write me back.

God bless you,

44. Abi says:

I am 48 and was told today I have osteoperosis. Dr. said I have lost 30% of bone. I was saddened and upset by it. He wants me to get on Fosomax but I have done my research and it is not safe to take it. I need someone to help me on how I should rebuild my bone the natural way. Can you please write me back. Thank you

45. Kathy says:

Thanks, Ryan!

Love,
    Mom

46. Kathy says:

Hi, Judy. Wow! You’ve really worked hard to make positive changes in your lifestyle! I’ve never heard of Kukicha twig tea, but if I can find some, I’ll try it. Yes, I long ago gave up alcohol; I rarely miss it anymore. But I still often miss coffee and popcorn. My overall health is so much better, though, that I consider it a more-than-even trade.

My next Dexascan is coming up in November, and I am hopeful of improvement there, too. However, I am trying to keep my expectations realistic. I’ve been reading the book, THE MYTH OF OSTEOPOROSIS, and I’ve come to understand that different nationalities and body types have different average bone densities, but that these differences are not taken into account in the DXA report. I am a small-boned woman of Irish descent, and so I should not expect my bone density to be a high as the average. Rather than focusing on comparing my T-scores and Z-scores to those of the general population, I will focus on comparing my own scores to those of a year ago and two years ago. If you get a chance to read the book, you may feel more confident about the strength of your bones. Bone density is only one measure of bone characteristics, and it is not the best predictor of future bone fractures! I was very surprised to read this. As soon as I finish the book, I will publish a review of it on this website. Congratulations on your spirit and your progress!

47. Judy says:

I just got bone scan results back- not good. I have a year to make changes and avoid medication. I’m starting to do many of the things you mentioned. I miss the coffee but I’ve been drinking Kukicha twig tea which supposedly is alkaline and has very minimal caffein. I’ve been on an essentially vegan way of eating and have found some very good recipes which I’d be happy to share with you. I’m using a rebounder every day and I’m going to buy a weighted jacket. I’m also minimizing wine which I also miss. Have you given that up to? I have also lost weight which is good. Thanks for your advice and support.

Judy