What can you do if you break a bone? How can you help your body heal most efficiently? Last week, I broke my left shoulder in a bike accident and researched and dug deep to get a good list to follow. If you’re following my osteoporosis diet already, most of these will already be covered.

Check out these top 10 ways to speed the healing of a fracture!

1) No drinking.
It is best to abstain from alcohol while healing a broken bone. To heal properly, bone cells must first form a ‘matrix,’ which later hardens or ossifies into bone. Alcohol consumption changes the makeup of this matrix by hindering the formation of osteoblasts and decreasing their ability to respond to signals that normally trigger bone formation after a fracture.

2) No smoking.
Patients who smoke, have a much longer average time to healing, and a much higher risk of developing a nonunion (non-healing of the bone). Smoking alters the blood flow to bone, and it is that blood flow that delivers the necessary nutrients and cells to allow the bone to heal.

3) Eliminate caffeine.
Coffee, colas, and other caffeinated drinks increase the rate of calcium loss through the urine, and you need that calcium for bone building!

4) Eat a balanced diet that includes the recommended amount of calcium.
For a quick listing of great foods for encouraging bone health, check out my article, “Top 10 Bone-Building Foods.” For a more extensive listing, see the “Foundations” category of this website.

5) Follow doctor’s orders concerning your treatment plan.
*If you are told to use crutches, use them.
*If you are told to rest the injury, rest it.
*If you are told to move the joint to restore full mobility, move it!
*If physical therapy is scheduled, follow through with it!

6) Don’t overdo!
You may feel better on some days than others, but you still need to pace yourself to conserve the energy resources you body needs to use for healing.

7) Stay happy!
Read engaging books, watch comedies and movies with happy endings, call or e-mail an encouraging friend, pet your dog or cat. Simple joys can create happy moments while healing.

8) Take prescribed pain medications when you need them.
There’s nothing heroic about suffering when you don’t need to! On the other hand, foregoing pain meds can sometimes help you focus on the injury so that you can move carefully and protect the bone and affected muscles and joints. You are the best judge of what your body needs. If you need relief from the pain for a time, don’t hesitate to give yourself a break!

9) Do something for someone else.
Look around an you will find others with needs. Doing something to help them will take you out of yourself and your situation, and it will lighten their load–and yours! There may be something you can do physically, even with your current limitations. But even if you can’t move, you can listen to others. You can pray for them. Your time of healing can become a time of healing for them, too!

10) Bless others by opening your heart to receive their help.
If you refuse to allow friends and family to help you for fear of being a “burden” or for fear of losing your independence, you are robbing them of the blessing and happiness they would experience by giving of themselves to you. Why not let them, instead, be a source of joy and comfort to you? Love makes the world go ’round, they say. Giving and receiving love in service to one another transforms our lives into a fulfilling, heart-warming adventure!

Other Posts You Might Enjoy:

Tags: , , ,

117 Comments on Top 10 Ways to Heal a Broken Bone FASTER!

1. Kathy says:

Veronica, looks like both you and your family are making terrific progress! Won’t be long until you’re out on the dance floor again. :-)

Blessings to you and yours,
    Kathy

2. Kathy says:

Hi, Arlene. I’ve heard good things about the use of magnetic fields and mild vibrations to strengthen bones, but I have no direct experience of these techniques. As for the possible benefits of alcohol, I’m attaching an article that explains that alcohol slows the remodeling process of bone, which is supposedly beneficial for older persons, but not younger persons. I’m not buying it that alcohol is beneficial for either group. http://health.usnews.com/healt.....one-health

3. Susanne says:

Hello all.Broke my right arm 3 weeks ago, was on vacation and horse back riding and the saddle slipped. They don’t cast upper humerus breaks. It’s been tough, they wont know about surgery for yet another 3 weeks! I sit at a desk soIm able to work by tiring and frustrating working left handed. I wish rapid healing to all!!!

4. Kathy says:

Hello, Susanne. How is your healing progressing? Did you end up having surgery? Have you started physical therapy yet? I’ll be praying for your continued healing.

Blessings to you and yours,
    Kathy

5. frances says:

hello,
    i broke my arm 18 days ago. was reset in er on a friday and a cast put on the following monday. i have no insurance, but was told i should get another x-ray in a week or two. any suggestions on where i should go with no insurance. i lost my insurance when company forced to liquidate (former hostess brands / woder bread worker)

6. Kathy says:

Hello, Frances. I wish you lived here in DeLand. The Churches here in DeLand have set up a free clinic of doctors and nurses to treat patients who don’t have health care insurance and can’t afford uninsured medical care. Even so, you may be able to call around for reasonable prices on x-rays. Some imaging centers charge a reduced fee, if the patient pays cash for the x-ray. I will keep you in my prayers that you will find the right care at the right price and that your arm will heal quickly and completely.

God bless you,
    Kathy

7. Sarah says:

My mom broke her foot 4days ago! She has a rod
    In her foot. It hurts a lot !! What can we do to
    Have an enjoyable summer? I appreciate your
    Help.

8. Kathy says:

Sarah, there is much you can do to make an enjoyable summer for your whole family! Help your mother to feel loved, to have fun, and to hope for better days ahead. Your family will benefit in amazing ways from each act of love and support you show to her. Find some enjoyable activities that she can participate in with you, like dominoes, scrabble, and crafts. God bless you as your help you mom to heal.

9. Dedra says:

Hello,
    I broke my ankle in a car accident a couple of weeks ago. The doctor said on a scale of 1-10 it was an 8, only because it was not compound. I am so very grateful that I am not in pain and a broken ankle is my only souvenir from that trip! However, it has been a pain in the neck because I am on crutches, can’t drive, and on the couch 80% of the time. The doctor said because my ankles are naturally very thin, the plate will be visible when the swelling goes down (not the actual plate, but you get what I’m saying). Would you suggest getting it removed in the future? Thank you.

10. Naveen says:

Thank you for the info…..

Had a motor bike accident, messed up my left foot very bad …..

after 6 months and 10 surgeries (microvascular and ortho combined) later, starting to walk again with crutches :)

11. Jemil says:

Hi there

I broke my tibia in a motorbike accident a month ago and have been trying to find a list of helpful do’s and don’ts so this list is great, thanks alot.

One thing I notice is that you have caffeine on your list. I have been trying to find studies or anything tangible on caffeine and its effects on bone healing but I’ve not been able to find any. I wondered if you had found any when you were creating this list?

I only drink 1 coffee a day, but I’m starting to wonder if that is going to be a problem

All the best

J

12. Kathy says:

Hi, Jemil. Yes, I included caffeine on the list because the experts said its high acidity tends to leach calcium from the bones to neutralize the acid. I gave up drinking coffee while my shoulder fractures were healing, but nowadays I’m back to drinking a cup of coffee in the morning, just like you. :-)

I pray that your break is healing well, and that you’ll be back on road soon.

God bless you,
    Kathy

13. Kathy says:

Hello, Dedra and Naveen. My goodness, you both have been through such tremendous ordeals! Dedra, as I am not a doctor, I don’t know what to advise you about removing the plate. I have the feeling, though, that since your ankles are naturally very thin, you may have to keep the plate to ensure future stability. Naveen, it’s so hard getting around on crutches, but you have made amazing progress! God bless you both. I will be praying for you.
    Kathy

14. Darian says:

I broke my Talus (in my foot, attaches my heal to my ankle) a week ago. I’ve been doing some research on healing it faster then normal. Any advice on how to boast my alkaline? Luckily I don’t smoke or brink so no worry there. Also the phone I broke it is VERY susceptible to lose blood flow and the bone will die. Any advice on that issue?

15. Kathy says:

Hi, Darian. I’m so sorry to hear about your broken foot, but it sounds like you’re on the fast track to healing. The quick answer to upping your alkalinity is to eat more fruits and vegetables, but this website chock of delicious details that make the switch a joy! Please check the recipes, as well as the Foundation articles that tell more about the alkaline diet. God bless you as you heal.
    Kathy

16. Nhat says:

I’m depress I just can’t do it I broke my leg and I’m scared and depress about everything help me plz I feel like nothing

17. Kathy says:

Hi, Nhat. A broken leg is definitely no fun! If you’re like me, you’re feeling helpless and hopeless. But, the good news is that your bones want to heal, and they will do everything they can to make that happen. Even though life seems out of control right now, you DO have control over what you eat and drink, and the fact that you’re reading this article must mean that you have an interest in helping your bones along. I will keep you prayer for an uplifted spirit, despite the pain and the aggravation. If you are up to it, you might try keeping a journal every day while you heal. It makes for very interesting reading once you’re well.

God bless you,