Six weeks ago, I fractured my shoulder in four places in a bicycle accident. It was a miserable break, requiring morphine in the ER. Now, six weeks later, x-rays reveal that the bone is healed, and the sling-and-swath device can come off! If you have broken your shoulder and wonder what to do to make things better for yourself, try these top 10 tips for surviving a shoulder fracture.

1. Move the recliner into your bedroom.
You’re going to have to sleep basically sitting up, and the most comfortable way to do that is to sleep in a recliner. Through the grace of God, my parents had just given us a recliner a few days before the accident. My husband made it into a “bed” by covering it with a sheet and a light comforter, and I slept there for the entire six weeks that my shoulder was healing. I kept different pillows handy to help prop up my body where needed. I also kept an ice bag nearby to reduce swelling and plugged in a heating pad by the recliner to help relieve muscle pain.

2. Take pain relievers as prescribed until no longer needed.
The doctor prescribed Hydrocodone APAP to use at home for pain. I took it for 11 days, until I felt I could get by okay without it. There’s no need to play the hero by going without pain meds! Powerful narcotic analgesics, such as Hydrocodone, can be habit forming if taken for several weeks, but I didn’t have any trouble weaning myself off of it. You might feel a bit lightheaded and dizzy from the medication, but it’s a lot better that suffering in agony!

3. Drink LOTS of water.
Your body needs water in a big way right now! The body is protecting and surrounding the injury with fluid, rushing nutrients to the affected areas, and processing dead cells and byproducts of healing. All of these activities require a supply of fresh water for maximum efficiency. Also, narcotic painkillers tend to cause constipation unless you drink plenty of water and eat fiber-rich foods, such as fresh fruits and vegetables.

4. Don’t be too proud (or modest) to ask for help with personal care.
Everyone likes being independent and capable, but right now you need to accept your limitations and seek help. For the first two weeks, it was too painful even to attempt to wash myself. Instead, either my husband or my daughters gave me sponge baths and washed my hair when needed. By week three, I was able to sit in a couple of inches of water in the bathtub, wearing a spare sling-and-swath, but I still needed help to wash. By week five, I could stand in a shower, still wearing the sling-and-swath, and wash myself one-handed. You won’t be able to shave your armpit for at least a month, but just getting cleaned up and sweet-smelling will make you feel better!

5. Switch to an easy-care haircut.
After a few weeks, I went to the hairdresser and got a shag haircut that I could blow-dry one-handed. I really enjoyed the emerging independence of being able to style my own hair!

6. Invest in devices that will help you to do one-handed what you used to do with two.
For example, we bought an electric can opener that would allow me to open cans with one hand. Because I could no longer use two hands to floss my teeth, we bought “dental flossers” that that I could used one-handed. They look kind of like little plastic swords on one end with a short stretch of tooth floss on the other end. I bought Plackers brand dental flossers– “gentle FINE: Perfect for Tight Teeth” with “New improved super tuffloss–Engineered not to shred or break during use–The same fiber used to make bulletproof vests.” I like these dental flossers so much that I’m going to continue to use them even now that my shoulder has healed.

7. Prepare for the “itch.”
The bruising and swelling that is normal for shoulder breaks will eventually start going down, and when it does, it’s going to itch like crazy! I tried several ways to relieve the itch, but here’s what worked: 1) Dry brush massage, using strokes in the direction of the heart, 2) Drinking a big glass of water, 3) Herbal tea with non-acidic Vitamin C powder, and 4) Applying Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Lotion to the arms, shoulder, chest and abdomen, which all itched beyond belief. I would wake up in the middle of the night tortured by the itching! However, once I figured out this routine, I could get the itching to stop completely within an hour or less, and then go back to sleep.

8. Exercise any way you can.
Before I broke my shoulder, I used to exercise by running, bicycling, belly dancing, and weight training, as well as stretching, sculpting, and aerobic workouts with Kathy Smith and Margaret Richard DVD’s at home. While the fracture healed, my exercise routine had to change, but it didn’t disappear completely! My usual routine (after the first two weeks) was: walking slow and easy, stationary biking, stretching, and modified belly dancing–isolated to just the lower body. It wasn’t what I was I was used to, but it was better than moping and laying around all day. Exercise can really lift your spirits, even when you’re recovering from an injury.

9. Eat a balanced diet that includes the recommended amount of calcium, and consider taking supplements that provide nutrients for bone-building. For a quick listing of great foods for encouraging bone health, check out my article, “Top 10 Bone-Building Foods.” For a more extensive listing, see the “Foundations” category of this website. As for supplements, I’ve been drinking a concoction that I fondly call “Bone Cocktail,” which is made of these ingredients from Eniva Corporation: 1 oz. Cell-Ready Minerals + 1 oz. Cell-Ready Cal-Mag (Calcium-Magnesium) + 1 oz. Cell-Ready Strontium + 2 oz. of pomegranate juice + 8 oz. water. For a complete listing of the supplements I take to reverse osteoporosis and build bone density, check out my article, “What I’m Taking Now and Why.”

10. Celebrate every step toward healing!
There are certain stages of healing that are common to the majority of shoulder fractures. As you reach each of these milestones, celebrate your progress and give thanks for your continued healing!

Initial treatment at the ER

Initial visit to the orthopedic doctor

Discontinuing prescription pain medication

Permission to begin extending and flexing the forearm while holding the elbow

Permission to bend at the waist and allow arm to hang and to rotate passively in a circle

Permission to begin passive movement of the shoulder area by having a friend or family member move the forearm to the front, back, and side.

Permission to remove the sling-and-swath and begin formal physical therapy.

This last step is where I am right now. In fact, my first appointment for physical therapy is at 4:30 this afternoon. I have been warned to expect major pain. This is one of those circumstances where it really is “no pain, no gain.” I’ll let you know what happens!

Bonus Tip: Yes, you can still have sex with a shoulder fracture!
Your partner is going to have to be v-e-r-y gentle and careful of your injury, but it’s wonderfully consoling and strengthening to enjoy that special closeness at a time when you are struggling in other areas of life. Having several pillows handy can be helpful in finding a comfortable position for lovemaking. Note: Ladies, don’t expect your body to experience orgasm while it is tense with pain and discomfort, but you can still enjoy your husband’s tenderness and affection, even if you don’t climax. And don’t worry: As your injury heals, your sexual responsiveness will return. :-)

Other Posts You Might Enjoy:

Tags: , , , , ,

467 Comments on Top 10 Tips for Surviving a Shoulder Fracture

1. Kathy says:

Oh, and Nancy, here’s a strange thing you might try to see if it helps you sleep. You could try hugging a warm heating pad–not on the fracture area–but just hugging it to your chest. I have been amazed how that has helped me sleep when nothing else would work. Please let me know if it makes a difference.

2. Nancy says:

Thanks Kathy I will try that.

3. Maria says:

It is now 7 1/2 weeks since I badly fractured my shoulder.
    I never imagined the pain would lessen as much as it has, it is amazing! I started VERY gentle rotation type excercises right from the very start, at 3 weeks the physio got me doing some more intense excercises which were so painful and I wondered if I was doing it correctly, after a little while the excercises became less painful.
    I have returned to my own bed, (slept in the spare room with oodles of pillows), cannot sleep on my shoulder yet but my sleep is improving.
    Today I even managed to hang out some washing on the line.
    For those of you reading this in the early stages of breaking your shoulder…believe me it DOES get better.

4. Fi says:

Hi everyone..one more to join the merry band comminuted fracture 5 days ago! I fell off my bicycle on Sunday morning in future will have a lie in and breakfast in bed like normal people ha!!! Due check x-Ray and possible surgical intervention on Monday not sure I really want it! I have a couple of questions 1 Does anyone know if NSAIDs slow the rate of bone healing? 2 Does your shoulder shape change significantly? I appear to have lost the shoulder it’s just a steep downward slope!! Does the shape return once PT gets underway. Prepared for a long recovery full of ups and downs. Hope everyone else is bearing up through their recovery

5. Amy says:

Fi,
    I suffered a proximal humerus fracture 7 weeks ago and my Dr. said that NSAID’s do slow fracture healing so I wasn’t allowed to take any for the first 6 weeks.

6. skippy says:

Hi,Im now 11 weeks after my accident and shoulder break. Have been to physio and doing exercises everyday 3 x per day plus trying to do things as normal as possible. When I over do it I have pain and have to rest, I still have lots of referred pain down my arm and and I accidentally move my arm quickly its unbearable….my mobility is probably 40% before experiencing pain. Do other people think this is fair progress? Iam not able to work as yet as my work involves lifting, driving is also an issue even though I have an automatic. Its a very slow recovery I have really appreciated reading other peoples experiences on this site. Any feed back would be appreciated to my question thanks.

7. skippy says:

Just an update…have been to my doctor and Iam having ultrasounds and xray tomorrow to find out what is going on. She said it could be torn rotator cuff or frozen shoulder.

8. alice says:

Two week it hurt so bad it in a sling can not sleep hurt so bad

9. Sue says:

Hi Fi, I fractured my shoulder by slipping on wet decking in Oct 2013. OUCH is just not enough to describe the pain of which anyone who has found themselves with the same injury will experience. After surviving the agony of x rays and examinations I was given a cuff sling which i wore for 4 weeks. I began physio at this time which was basic movements like swinging my arm fowards and backwards. It is imperative to do the physio every day.6 months on and I can at last sleep better,as i naturally sleep on my side this has been the most difficult thing to cope with on a daily basis. I wish i had used a sun lounger instead of struggling to lie flat on my back. I still haven’t gained full movement in my shoulder and it is still quite stiff ( my arm feels like a lead weight when i wash my hair). I returned to work on lighter duties after 2 month. I eased off the exercising at home and have rejoined Curves (ladies gym).Today i tried to do my physio exercises and found my shoulder is not so flexible as it was a month ago ,so hence checking out the websites for advice etc. I now intend to get back into the physio exercises (using a red band issued to me by my physiotherapist) with the hope that i improve my chances of 100% movement in the not too distant future. I did meet a much younger person (i am 55) who told me it was 12 months before he was pain free so i try to think positively. my doctor has suggested that it might be worth trying a steroid injection into the injured shoulder as this can help. For the next couple of weeks i shall make every effort to keep up with the exercises. I hope your shoulder is healing well.
    kind regards .

10. Jen says:

Hi
    I’ve just been reading all these comments and would like to say thank you. I have fractured my right arm/shoulder and I’m right handed. never felt pain like it. Would you believe I was assisting pushing a car that had been involved in a rtc. I’m a police officer but was off duty at the time. I’m 50 years old and slipped on engine oil. Lifted my arm up and carried on pushing the car. Got into my car and nearly passed out with the pain. This happened 3 weeks ago
    I have had the bruising the whole top of my arm went almost black. The itching which I found bache rescue cream helped.
    I can’t sleep on my right side been told my dr I’ll be off work for at 2 months
    The shoulder is still very painful and have been doing the circle exercises which are still very painful still on the painkillers. Start physical therapy on Friday. My worry is both my father and his sister had osteoporosis is this the start of it or is this just a silly accident.
    Jen

11. Sherry says:

Fractured shoulder upper humerus six weeks ago and have been in sling. Haven’t had any therapy. Have been using my forearm but avoiding heavy objects maybe more than a pound or so. Should it still be quite painful? I thought the pain would be almost gone by now except for when I begin therapy. Beginning to worry me. Does tiis indicate I haven’t properly cared for it or that the rotator cuff could be involved ?

12. kathy j says:

Hello fellow injured ones!

What a helpful website!

My dog pulled me over and and I fractured my shoulder in two places on 14th May. Bone is knitting well and last week my consultant told me to bin the sling and start moving the arm whilst avoiding pain. I’m getting my range back and feel that regaining confidence is a big issue.

I stopped all medication after 8 days due to side effects and I really think that just keeping moving and avoiding undue stress on afflicted arm is important + lots TLC to mind body and spirit.Internet physio sites are useful whilst waiting for 1st physio session.

Best wishes to all

kathy

13. Jen says:

This is a long slow recovery 6 weeks later and arm still sore.

14. Kimmie says:

Joined the crowd on July 7,2014. Broke my humerus just under the ball joint of my arm. Wow the pain and agony I have liked reading that there is indeed a light at the end of the tunnel thanks for all the ideas to help get through this.

15. Jill page says:

Hi,I am now 6 months post fracture,my dog also pulled me over.I have been back in work for 3 months.I never thought I would get here ,yes my shoulder still aches at times and gets stiff.
    However, my range of movement is 120 degrees and I can now do almost everything.
    This site was invaluable during those horrible first 4 weeks but just to tell everyone give it time and everything does get better.

16. Bleu says:

I am also a member of the fractured humerus club. A week and a half ago I had an accident riding my horse and my humerus fractured just below the ball. As long as the fracture doesn’t displace any further I won’t need surgery. So far sleeping has been the most difficult part for me. I don’t have a recliner so I prop myself up in my bed. I wake up every couple hours in pain and can’t get comfortable. I can’t wait to sleep through the night laying down. And I can’t wait to get back to my normal life.

17. ken says:

My mother had a fall in a store on Friday 11th July, resulting in 3 fractures in her shoulder. She is 76 years old and in terrible agony, but, because it is a holiday weekend here, she was sent home from a&e with a collar and cuff and expected to fend for herself until an appointment is forthcoming at the fracture clinic. It is a horrible way to treat her