proliaHere’s an interesting article about Prolia, still another pharmaceutical drug that is touted to build bone density, but once again with horrific side effects to be considered.

Vivian Goldschmidt of Save Our Bones states:

The most common side effects of Prolia are back pain, arm and leg aches, elevated cholesterol, general musculoskeletal pain, bladder infection, and pancreatitis.5

And as disclosed on the Prolia website (http://www.prolia.com), it can cause serious side effects because it “is a medicine that may affect your immune system” (remember the cytokines?).

These are the main side effects listed by Amgen:

• Low calcium levels
  • Serious skin, lower abdomen, bladder, or ear infections
  • Dermatitis, rash, or eczema
  • Inflammation of the inner lining of the heart (endocarditis) caused by an infection
  • Severe jaw bone problems such as osteonecrosis of the jaw.

And for dessert, Amgen serves up a cautionary statement: that “it is not known if the use of Prolia over a long period of time may cause slow healing of broken bones or unusual fractures.”

The only side effect of the alkaline diet and exercise is…good health!

47 Comments on Prolia: a Wolf in Sheep’s Clothing

1. mewee says:

Someone from my gyn office called and tried to get me to take this. My doc said he didn’t suggest it. I already knew about the side effects. This is a terrible drug- it should only be used for cancer patients. I plan to go the natural route for my early osteoporosis. The only safer drugs are hrt, forteo and calcitonin although they all have potential problems also. If you supplement calcium make sure to take vitamin k2, and supplement magnesium and other minerals as well. I’m disgusted this drug has harmed all of you, I hope you get compensation although you can’t get your health back. I hope the side effects stop soon. I believe kick backs are received for prescribing many of these drugs.

2. Lori says:

I took it a few weeks ago and have no side effects at all

3. Kirstin says:

I can’t believe Amgen would waste time and effort on the SAME mechanism of action as bisphosphonates. I was diagnosed with osteopenia at age 30. There isn’t a doctor visit that goes by without recommendations to take Fosamax. If I had, I would have been on it for 14 years now, surely with jaw necrosis or a spiral fracture from such long exposure.. Instead I eat smart, supplement and lift weights twice a day. Not one fracture since the running repetitive injury stress fracture I had that drove me to question my bone density. The only drug I would take is Forteo but its effects are not shown to last after treatment ends, so I keep waiting.

4. Nancy Taylor says:

I took Prolia 6 months ago after being told by my doctor that I would be in a wheelchair within three years from a large bone fracture. I am a very young 60 and am a ballerina and an avid motorcyclist, so this news was devastating enough to be convinced that I had no other choice than to take the injection. Immediately I was extremely fatigued and exhausted all of the time. Within two weeks I had extreme laryngitis and contacted a lung infection. For three months I suffered with no voice and walking pneumonia. During this time I also had a blistery bloody rash over my arms and torso. I also had leg, feet and hand cramps that totally incapacitated me. Two months ago I started having vertigo. Yesterday I was diagnosed by an ENT specialist with inner ear problems. The dizziness has been daily with moments of spinning where I drop to the floor. I also saw my cardiologist yesterday and he said that my testing showed that I recently suffered a slight heart attack. I am due for my next injection in August. I will never do this again! Though I was told about the possible side effects, three of the five doctors that I sought opinions from told me that it was very unlikely that I would have anything to worry about and that most of their patients did fine. They referred to them as “scare tactics”. Do not take this drug!!!! I am so sorry that I did. I am now taking the natural approach with power juicing of all the foods that contain bone building nutrients to get the vitamin D, calcium, magnesium, potassium, vitamin K2, and correct sodium. I am also working out at the gym with weights and walking along with getting plenty of natural D from the sun. I wish you all the best and pray for recovery from this “Prolia Poison” that we may get our lives back. Does anyone know when or if this drug totally leaves the body after 6 months, and if the side effects are long term?

5. Flora says:

I’m due to get my injection tomorrow morn. I waited too long to read up on the side effects apparently. Going to tell my Osteo Dr. no thank you I think. I’m already under weight & can’t lose even one pd! Thanks for all the input!

6. Betty Preston says:

After 2 shots of Prolia, at 68 years old I have a bad case of Mono an a bladder infection. I fill drained all the time. Doctor want say it’s cause from the Prolia shot.I already had high clestrol , which he gave me Liptor, that cause diabetes, which I already have and my blood sugar got all out of control, so he increase my diabetes medicine. I was able to get off diabetes medicine before all this

7. Anonymous says:

I thought my back looked more rounded after the second prolia shot.
    It really was upsetting. I am now due for a third shot. It seems as though I don’t look as rounded in my back. I haven’t seen any comments on this issue. My doctor is encouraging me to continue with the shots.

8. Gillian says:

Hi, I got one prolia injection in July for osteoporosis (caused by a complete abdominal hysterectomy 4 years ago). In August I developed a bad painful peely rash on both of my eyes. On October 12th I began having symptoms of a UTI, I took cephlaxen for one week with NO improvement, switched over to bactrim one week ago. I am still having a lot of pain/discomfort and burning with urination but the urine sample I gave today was clean. I am so frustrated! Have any of you that had UTI’s had the symptoms last longer than the actual infection?

Thanks!

9. want info about alkaline diet and bone building foods and wt bearing exercises and sunlite

• Kathy says:

Hi, Phyllis. OsteoDiet.com is full of information about the alkaline diet and its benefits for building stronger bones! After you’ve had a chance to explore this website, please let me know if you have any questions that you’d like answered. Weight-bearing exercise, daily sunlight, decreased stress, and an 80% alkaline/20% acid diet lead to stronger bones…and the only side effect is improved health!

God bless you,
      Kathy

10. Gisele DeAngelis says:

Have mild osteopenia – advised to have prolia shot since mother broke hip at age 80 and was never well again. I am 59. Just had my second shot – NEVER AGAIN!!!!!! My muscles and joints hurt so much that I am not willing to do the shot again. I have also gained 10 lbs – not from lack of good food or exercise, so let’s not go there. Bad drug from the start – trouble is I knew better since I studied holistic medicine, but got persuaded by Physician’s Assistant at Dr.’s office. While some friends use it and don’t feel bad or have any side effects, it is wreaking havoc with my health – have five months until I can feel better – so if you are considering it – DON’T DO IT!! – Also had bladder infection that took 4 weeks to get rid of after the first shot. Ladies – please heed this warning. Thank you for listening.

• Karen says:

Hi Gisele,

Sorry to read about your bad side effects tenth Prolix shot. I am writing to you as I am in the same situation that you have been in where I have received a 60ml shot 3 weeks ago and ache and pain and constant bladder infections are driving me mad. I can’t believe I actually let myself have this injection. I am 56 and went through menopause early and bones are showing me to have osteopenia. However due to a compression fracture in my spine the doc recommend this….ANYWAY….how do you feel now and are you taking anything different? Thank you

11. lynette says:

I should never have started the Prolia shots,but the doctors use scare tactics about osteoporosis. I’m in such severe pain that I can’t sleep at night or function during the day. I might or might not develop strong bones, but it’s not worth this misery. After the second shot I decided to start looking up more of the side effects. Thanks to the internet people can see that there are many others suffering. The doctor said only a small percentage had aches. Not so.

• Anonymous says:

I have the same, had the shot in June, and haven’t been able to sit down comfortably since. My back aches all the time, and I have been unable to exercise. I wish I never had the injection.

Keryn

12. Kathy says:

Hi, ML. The side effects sound terrible! What is your doctor hoping to accomplish by having you take Prolia?

13. ML says:

I have had numerous Prolia side effects since my first injection the Fall of 2013. 4 infections in 3 months, off and on ear pain that radiated to my neck and gland on the right side, aching back and shoulders, fatigue, horrible dry, flaky skin on my eyelids, around my mouth and on my forehead, cold sores that lasted over a month and left one sensitive spot on my lip,and almost constant stomach issues including an infection. I am through my 5th month post injection and am just now starting to feel a little better. I have also had a thyroidectomy, and my Dr has not checked my calcium levels even once. Can’t take calcium or Vitamin D due to stomach issues so don’t see the point of this med. Healthy 65 yr old female.

14. Kathy says:

God bless you, too!

15. Anonymous says:

Thank you so much for making this information available. I had my first shot in November, have experienced weird things, I don’t even want to describe them, needless to say there wont be a second. I’m going to check into the Osteodiet, again bless you.

16. Violet J. Reed says:

Doctor wants me to start Prolia. Have taken Forteo shots for two years and Boniva. Side effects of Prolia really frighten me as I have osteoarthritis. Would like the most serious side effects of Prolia for an 82 1/2 year old lady.

17. Joan T says:

I have been diagnosed with Osteoporosis and my MD hs suggested that I take Prolia. After reading the outcomes of many who have taken this drug and suffered the harsh side effects,,,I have decided to not tike it and go with Boliva and or an Osteo Diet to combat the disease…thanks ladies for sharing all your experiences…J

18. dorothy says:

Forgot to mention – Left arm also felt numb – hard to lift or use (a month into the shot) – then it went away…. – Today, 6 months into it, the Jaw pain (Pain radiates to gland in throat – and up to ears). – Am worried about jaw now because it hurts to open mouth very wide to eat). – Advice!!! DO NOT TAKE PROLIA!

• Kathy says:

I have not heard about a way to relieve your jaw pain. Readers, can you help? Dorothy, I will pray for you to find a way to health.

God bless you,
      Kathy

19. dorothy says:

Have High Risk Osteoprosis – took Boniva for 4 years – Hated the Sides, so Stopped..;.. A few years went by, then a Chiropractor Broke my Back (He used all his weight AFTER I told him about the Osteoprosis!!!) – Went in for a Migraine that would not go away (Not a Back Adjustment!) – He told me slyly ‘Come back when the pain starts’ . . . (Hmph – Ended up in Hospital for 2 weeks instead). – So, Oncology (Where I go for Cancers, 1st & Secondary) – Gave me a Prolia Shot . . They acted like it was a picnic – Easy Injection, true – (Didn’t have a lot of problems, but it definitely affected moods on occasions). . . This Morning (6 Months into the Shot & Due for another one in a week) – I cannot open my mouth far~ Severe Jaw Bone Pain!!! – Will this heal on its own – What to do? Am seriously concerned. . Even eating, it is hard to open mouth far, making it difficult. (Anyone else have this happen right up to the 6th month?)….. AM NOT GETTING ANOTHER ONE! THE GAME IS OVER! AM SO TIRED OF THEM USING US AS GUINEU PIGS!!! . . Dr’s say If not taken again, Osteoprosis bad cells will start attacking bones – Well, then, Just What is this Doing? / NO MORE! / POISON! – (Feels like Oncology has done more damage than good in my case – too many other instances with different things they did to mention). – **PLEASE, DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT TO DO ABOUT THE JAW BONE PAIN & WILL IT GO AWAY?** – THANK YOU .

20. Anonymous says:

had 1st injection prolia may 2013 did not go well felt weak tired and lifeless for the first week. thought i was getting better 4th week now have a throbbing earache went to the doctor no sign of infection 3rd day today pain in my right side of head dont feel right have another appt tomaro been on antiobiotics for 3 days.

21. MILDRED MARTIN: Could you tell me more about the sx you had with the necrosis? I am having jaw pain and it appears that the right side of my face has changed its form. No one seems to know why… They can only say it “MAY” be TMJ. My teeth seem to be shifting as well. HELP someone!!!

22. Kathy says:

Connie, I hope the OsteoDiet will be of real help to you. I feel so much better myself, even though I have never been able to get my bone density out of the official “osteoporosis” category. Remember: Bone density isn’t the only indicator of bone health. it isn’t even the most important one. You can have high bone density and still have brittle, breakable bones. It is important to have flexible bones, as well, which comes from balanced nutrients and a diet that doesn’t rob the bones of minerals in order balance acidified blood. I’m rooting for you and praying for you, Connie! God bless you,
    Kathy

23. Kathy says:

Yes, Margaret, it is so disappointing that the FDA and the drug companies do not protect us better than they do. You deserve better than this. Has your doctor tested your Vitamin D level? Have you tried an more alkaline diet to see if it would help? I’m praying for you.
    Kathy

24. margaret sanborn says:

I just received my first Prolia shot in March 2013 after no improvement with any of the oral biophosphonates and Reclast. Now, suddenly, I find I have a bladder infection. I can’t wait to notify my urologist, my hematologist and my primary care physician tomorrow. In 80 years I have never had a bladder infection. Very concerned and disappointed.

25. Connie Kendrick says:

I had my first Prolia injection 18 months ago and then a second injection 6 months ago. It is time for another injection and I am concerned about taking it. I have high cholesterol and especially my Ldl is elevated over 150 on the last check up. I did ache after receiving both injections and did have a bladder infection after the second one, and have noted really dry, reddened skin on my forehead and neck. My big concern is that I have had Breast cancer (8 1/2 yrs. ago) and in the newspaper today it is stating that women who had radiation and chemo are more susceptible to heart problems. I am over 60. I did not take the second dose until a year after the first because of the concern of side effects. My bone density did go from osteoporosis to osteopenia after that 1 year interval. I just do not want to take something that may cause the side effects to be worse this time. I will check out the osteo-diet. Thank You for any suggestions & I know God gave me this site to review today!

26. Kathy says:

Mildred, I’m so sorry that you have had to endure such pain. Thank you for sharing your story, so that others may learn for your experience. I will keep you in prayer for strength to endure and for relief from this misery.

God bless you,
    Kathy

27. After taking PROLIA,I have suffered for months with necrosis of
    my jawbone. ANTIBIOTICS would not stop the infection. I’ve
    removed three teeth and now am scheduled for surgery. Don’t
    forget the severe muscle pain.

28. Laverne Paul says:

I have thought about talking to my doctor about prolia, but after reading these comments I about to change my mind.
    I need some godd sound advice about this drug.

Thanks,Laverne Paul

• Kathy says:

Hello, Laverne. You were wise to take the opportunity to learn more about Prolia before making your decision. I did the same thing when faced with taking Fosamax. Adopting lifestyle changes–alkaline diet, weight-bearing exercise, daily sunlight, and reduced stress–rebuilt my bones, and the only side effect was improved overall health! God bless you on this healing journey.
      Kathy

29. Anonymous says:

I have been told by my doctor to use Prolia because I had side effects from Fosamax and Actonel. My doctor wants me to read all about Prolia before I start with it. The people all seem to have terible effects from Prolia. This trouble me alot. What should I do?
    Eleanor

• Kathy says:

There’s a reason why people have side effects from bisphosphonate drugs: They are poison! Here’s the link to the article in which Dr. David Brownstein, renowned holistic physician, gives the answer to your question: http://osteodiet.com/2012/05/2.....ate-drugs/. Bones can be rebuilt naturally by switching to an 80% alkaline / 20% acid diet, getting daily sunlight, engaging in weight-bearing exercise, and reducing stress…and the only side effect is improved, overall health!

God bless you,
      Kathy

30. Maria says:

Had Prolia injection in Nov. 2011. After effects are horrible and the use of my right arm is still painfull. I hope this all ends after 6 months.

31. Anonymous says:

Side effects are horrible and long-lasting. Hopefully in six months,they will disappear, meanwhile the pain and suffering I constant.Anonymous

32. Anonymous says:

don’t use it side effects are awful.

33. Linda says:

I just took my first dose of Prolia. The first 3 days I did nothing but ache. Now I think I have a bladder infection. I will not take this drug again. I have 6 months to go for this to be over can someone help me with natural foods to helps build my bones.

• Kathy says:

Hi, Linda. Please check through OsteoDiet.com for menus and recipes. An 80% alkaline, 20% acid diet promotes the growth of strong, flexible bones. and the only side effect is improved health!
      If you have questions about anything you read on this website, please write me back.

God bless you,
      Kathy

34. Kathy says:

Thanks, Lisa, for sharing this information about these possible side effects of Prolia. Before returning to Reclast, have you thought about fighting Osteoporosis naturally? As I wrote to Frances, weight-bearing exercise, daily sunlight, and an 80% alkaline/20% acid diet lead to stronger bones…and the only side effect is improved health! It’s something to consider.

God bless you,
    Kathy

35. Lisa says:

I took Prolia 3 months ago for the first time. My hands have red rashes with blisters and a fingernail is coming loose. Going to the Dermatologist in a few days to see what he says but my GYN said it is most likely the Prolia. Too bad, I liked the idea of twice a year and it was alot less out of pocket than Reclast for me.

36. Carole says:

Can you tell me how many women that have used Prolia have developed the side affects.
    I have taken Actonel and Fosamax and have developed all the extreme side affects.
    Prolia has been recommended for me and I have many doubts.

37. Kathy says:

Hi, Frances. OsteoDiet.com is full of information about the alkaline diet and its benefits for building stronger bones! After you’ve had a chance to explore this website, please let me know if you have any questions that you’d like answered. Weight-bearing exercise, daily sunlight, and an 80% alkaline/20% acid diet lead to stronger bones…and the only side effect is improved health!

God bless you,
    Kathy

38. Iam interested in bone building foods and the alkaline diet, I have osteoporosis